Saturday 22 October 2011

Lupino - Melbourne - 41 Little Collins Street, Melbourne

I was super excited about coming to Lupino - all week. A casual Italian offshoot of Becco.

Walking in, there was a good vibe in the air - dark, cool bar, lots of people and terazzo (or something like that) floors - I had a positive groove to my stride.

My friend observed that it did not feel like we were sitting on top of the next door neighbour.

My heart started to really race when I read the great simple menu.  Some tasty-looking starters and mains - marinara, veal scallopini.

I just had a feeling that I was gonna love it.

Then came the entrees - mussels were fresh but no excitement factor, lamb back strap beautifully cooked medium rare but had an odd hint of sourness (maybe grapefruit), squid with potatoes (lacked flavour). The start was saved by a fantastic lamb shank with polenta and peas.

BUT at that point, I think I was still fooling myself thinking I was loving it where really my heart was starting to drop a few beats.

AND then came the mains. I had crumbed chicken with a radicchio salad ($28). It looked a bit dark on the plate and it was just dry - too thin and overcooked.  I find it really hard to overcook crumbed chicken at home!

One friend had swordfish which was fresh but lacked oomph and the mariana was just seafood and pasta, no flavour - like salt, wine, olive oil ($29).

Worst of all was the fact that my pregnant friend asked for the marinara without mussels and was charged $5 extra.

The risotto was the winner out of an average bunch - I think it is quite telling when risotto is the best dish on a menu.

We got the bill and were reminded of the extra $5. I of course could not keep my mouth shut and expressed disappointment about the extra charge for a pregnant lady or for anyone for that matter - I held back from using the word "discrimination".

The manager/owner/not sure what he was, came over to address our concern. Actually address is the wrong word.  He said "if it is only about the $5, I will take it off the price."  In unison we all said  "it is the principle." Arrogantly he then proceeded to give us a lecture on how:
"the price of mussels per kilo is less than prawns and you had 2 extra prawns to compensate so it was more expensive for them and that this was a cheap marinara in any case others cost $39 and this is a lower priced restaurant compared to the others around town and they have to manage costs but if it is about the $5 I will take it off the price." He then snatched the bill away and took the $5 off the price.

My heart stopped!

He not only had us feeling like idiots - like we don't know the price of mussels - he also made us feel cheap.

The total bill was $353 for 5 people (included a Cullen Semillon/Sauvignon Blanc which was $75, no dessert) - do the maths, not expensive but food should match expected reputation.

My friend summed it up perfectly.

"A terrible end to an average dinner."

5/10
Lupino on Urbanspoon
Adles

No comments:

Post a Comment