Saturday 18 February 2012

Gertrude Street Enoteca - Melbourne - 229 Gertrude Street, Fitzroy

This is definitely the best wine bar in Melbourne - hands down below zero (one of my friends asked me what this actually means as if maybe there was a phrase she had missed some time during her more social years - no, she did not, it is just my way of expressing that when something is really good it is not just hands down good but hands down below the earth's surface, below zero good)

Moving on...

Every glass of wine, whatever it is, to me is great.  I had the best white wine of my life here a few years ago, I can't remember the name or the style or the region or the flavour for that matter but the waiter was generous enough to spend a few moments entertaining the thought that she might make me recall.

I thought this place has larger meals but maybe by memory is fading.  But don't be fooled by the simple bar menu, if you are a scavenger like me, you can make a meal out of any two words -

Vitello tonnato
Vegetable frittata
Cured meat
Good bread
Olive oil

This is the kind of place where you may not be so cool but the arty patrons, the knickerbockered waiters, the elegant swindling of glasses and the rustic ambience make you think that you just might be.

8.5/10
Gertrude Street Enoteca on Urbanspoon
Adles




No comments:

Post a Comment