Monday 28 January 2013

Sapore - Melbourne - 5 Fitzroy Steet, St Kilda


Looking for a bite to eat in St Kilda before reliving my Uni years and heading to the Espie, I decided to relive my dining years too and opted for Sapore.

Just walked right in and no booking required - good o.

I was out with some Ukranian friends now living in LA - what a hoot. I love people who are honest and frank and say it how it is.

One of them requests "vinegar please". I was not sure where this was going but soon realised that our lovely olive oil would have a dash of balsamic. A bit early 2000s I commented but I love people who don't care and are brave enough to ask.

Two of us ordered the seafood linguini. Once again I am reliving my early dining years and ordering the same dish from a life before. Double the price but still cooked well, although the mussels were a bit scarily big.

Mr Balsamic ordered a mushroom risotto. He said that the mushroom could have been blenderised cos he could taste the flavor but could not feel the texture. It was good nonetheless except for the big blob of what he thought to be butter in the centre. We told him that it was actually cream fraiche but he said that if the chef thought it would be good he would mix it in himself. Fair point.

Mr Balsamic has been displeased with aus wines since arriving from LA so far. So we had to order an Aussie wine. Unfortunately the selection was not great but he was pleased that this one had a cork. He and his wife and their friends in LA are cork collectors of course. He even noted that this one did not have the winery incrypted on the side.

I learnt that these corks can be used to create frames, pot stands and hot pan placemats. His are in a large bowl of course.

What a shame that Aus is starved of corks these days!

Overall a decent place for a quick pasta.

Around $45 each.

6.5/10

Sapore on Urbanspoon

Adles

No comments:

Post a Comment