Thursday 2 January 2014

Piqueous - Melbourne - 298 Rathdowne Street, North Carlton

I love it when my friends choose a restaurant and pick a place I have never heard of.

Piqueous was just that - very exciting amigos and it expands the Argentinean/Peruvian options in Melbourne.

A great location in North Carlton away from the CBD - I am not a big fan of dining in the CBD generally.

The key feature is the bar in the middle but the place has an overall dark and moody feel to it, just like restaurants in Argentina. Service is immediately warm and friendly but not overdone and the menu is very desirable.

We started with some scallops which were succulent and spicy, followed by the best empanadas around in Melbourne. Then kingfish ceviche with a corn and tomatoe salsa was super.

Next was the steak with chimmichurri. I love chimmchurri and I love the way Argentineans cook steak parilla style - it is the best. On the side was the best asparagus accompanied with palm hearts that you will taste plus some quinoa.

For dessert we shared an Alfajor which is a biscuit filled with dulce de leche and coconut - yum.

Around $80 per person including 2 glasses of wines each or less if you eat less.

Piqueous is a fusion of delicate flavours with the grunt of a good tasty steak and lovely wines.

I love it and for me it beats San Telmo.

8/10
Piqueos on Urbanspoon
Adles

No comments:

Post a Comment