Sunday 29 April 2012

Il Bacaro - Melbourne, 168-170 Little Collins Street, Melbourne

When it comes to a restaurant that epitomises Melbourne dining, Il Bacaro is the one.

It has a dark moody feel which hides the lines on the face - good.
It has a bar designed for late walk-ins to enjoy a fine glass of sauterne - better.
It is the place where I first discovered the best panna cotta in town - great.
It has Italian men musing around, serving, drinking, eating, talking to the maitre d'e - unreal.

I have not had a bad meal at this Italian icon of Melbourne. The calamari is excellent and you should always try the quail as the style and flavours change all the time. The goat is magnificent and the pastas are perfect.

My only concern is the creeping prices. While my moreton may bug spaghettini was awesome, I paused and realised the extremity of paying $38 for a meal which was small, which I had to hold myself back from inhaling in a matter of minutes by eating bread between each mouth full and which I humbly believe I could have easily put together myself.

Entrees are great but over the $25 mark and now that my mum has mastered the panna cotta, I feel a bit cheated paying $18.

I compare this to New York City with the likes of Otto where the most brilliant goats cheese agnolotti costs a mere $11.
Although Il Bacaro does serve one of the best desserts in Melbourne - "it is all about the cheesecake" as the waiter says. There is a bit of honeycomb going on with some violet ice cream, some of those pop and a crackle explosions in your mouth and a vanillery cheesecake that you will never forget.

But really what is Melbourne coming too?

It is a city that clearly has money to burn and an average of $45 for a main meal does not turn people away - this house is always full.

Alas, I will keep coming back because it seriously has the best atmosphere in town and because sometimes I just can't be bothered making my own pasta.

8/10

Il Bacaro Cucina e Bar on Urbanspoon

Adles

No comments:

Post a Comment